Hey, myrtle beach! Today is Monday, April 18, 2022, and I hope you all had a fun and enjoyable holiday weekend. Let’s start this day. Here’s everything you need to know in town today.
First, a check of Monday’s wet weather:
Heavy rain and a thunderstorm. Top: 68 Bottom: 48.
Congratulations to our main local sponsors:
- Looking to sell or buy in Myrtle Beach? What if we could connect you with an experienced and dynamic realtor with over a hundred 5-star reviews on Zillow? Meet Valerie Lyons at ROG. Val gets praise for going the extra mile, and she’s an expert at showmanship and relocation. Message or call today: 774-259-8937
- Are you a senior who recently moved to South Carolina and need to update your health insurance? Lapiere & Josie has been helping seniors navigate the complexities of health insurance, as well as dental, vision, and ultimate expenses for nearly 50 years. They are reliable, local and ready to help. Learn more at Lapiereinsurance.com or text Reggie and Rick at 843-424-6931.
Click here to feature your business in this spot.
Here are today’s top four stories in Myrtle Beach:
- Myrtle Beach police were called to the Hollywood Wax Museum on Saturday evening around 8 p.m., responding to a call about a shooting. One person was shot, and the scene was secured while the injured party was treated. The investigation is ongoing and MBPD asks anyone with information to call (843) 918-1382. (WBTW) (Facebook)
- Charlie’s Place holds a community market on Carver Street on the third Saturday of every month, except June and October. The event includes various local suppliers show off their products, and gives the neighborhood a feeling of freshness and radiance. (WMBF)
- The owners of Cannabetter Farm in Myrtle Beach say sale of legal forms of medical cannabinoids became quite lucrative. The farm sells Delta 8 and Delta 9 Hemp Products for Consumers 21 and Older. Using hemp products makes a difference in the lives of people with chronic diseases, chronic pain, anxiety and other health conditions. the Farm Bill enacted in 2018 allowed Cannabetter Farms to sell the cannabinoid products. The farm is still somewhat challenged by the stigma of cannabis-derived productsbut they Hope the benefits outweigh the stigma. (wpde.com)
- Huntington Beach State Park and Myrtle Beach State Park see record number of park pass sales, with admission to the park up 25% this year. Many people using both parks now have the yellow park passes hanging from their rear view mirrors. the passes cost around $100. Huntington Beach, one of the most popular spots on the Grand Strand can accommodate 450 vehicles before the rangers close the park. They say they usually have a morning rush, then things slow down after 1 p.m.. Last summer they had to close the park 27 times. (WMBF)
Myrtle Beach photo of the day:
Today’s photo comes from Jo Noonanwho took this long view of the Great Strand while walk and enjoy the view! Thanks Jo!
Would you like to see your photo here? Submit one for review. Please confirm in your email that you own the rights to the photograph, and that Patch has your permission to republish the photo.
Today in Myrtle Beach:
- @ShipOnSite Shredding Event — bring a non-perishable food item to donate to Meals On Wheels and the shredding is free. Limit 2 boxes of paper shredding bank. (09H00)
- Kind Keeper Animal Rescue Adoption Event @ PetSmart, Shallotte (10:00 AM)
- Pier Committee Meeting at the Town of Surfside Beach (6:00 p.m.)
- Singing in the Sun @ Myrtle Beach Convention Center (6:00 p.m.)
- Rich Johnson Duo @ Bar Louie (7:00 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- The Humane Society of North Myrtle Beach: Thinking about adopting one of our shelter dogs, but I don’t know which one would be the best suited for your family? Take our adoption survey here: https://hsnmb.app.hotimetmydog.com/register (Facebook)
- Explore North Myrtle Beach: Teddy the dog spent a day in North Myrtle Beachand made his suggestions for top 5 things to do in the city! Teddy, who has terminal cancer, is supported by the Humane Society of North Myrtle Beach. Teddy is not available for adoption. (Instagram)
- Palmetto Animal Hospital: It is Dog Bite Prevention Week! Don’t forget: any behavioral issues with your dog should be addressed by a veterinarian as well as a trained canine behaviorist. 🐾 (Facebook)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
Do you like the Myrtle Beach Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
Now you’re in the loop and ready to get out of there Monday. See you soon Tuesday morning for another Great Strand update!
— Kathy Mandel
About me: The best decision I ever made was moving to the Myrtle Beach area from New England a few years ago, along with my three dogs and three cats. I love dogs, cats, road trips, photography, writing, vegetarian food, live music, cycling and especially my daily walks on the beaches in and around Grand Strand.